Dr. Stanley Crews | Over 25 Years of Experience
Prices per eye based on your prescription:
Up to -1.00 Myopia with ≤ -0.50 Astigmatism |
-1.25 to -2.25 Myopia with -0.75 to -1.00 Astigmatism |
-2.50 or above |
Hyperopia with or without Astigmatism |
Custom LASIK |
$199 per eye
$1199 per eye
$1450 per eye
$1450 per eye
$1800 per eye
Stanley L. Crews, M.D. – Physician & Surgeon
Dr. Crews is one of Portland’s and the Pacific Northwest’s most highly trained LASIK eye surgeons delivering excellent results to his patients in Portland, Oregon and has performed over 20,000 procedures.
Dr. Crews studied in Florida and received his medical degree from the University of Miami and completed his Ophthalmology training at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is Board Certified and is an active and participating member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
The eye is a crucial body organ, and it is hard to imagine living with eyes that are not functioning correctly. Sadly, eye conditions are common, and people are forced to get treatment that vary depending on the severity of the conditions. Refractive surgery is a common phrase used to refer to the surgical procedures that correct common eye problems such as nearsightedness, astigmatism, and farsightedness among others. LASIK surgery is a common refractive surgery performed in Portland, Oregon, and it helps to understand a bit more about it before considering it as a way of correcting your eye problem. Read on and find out;
This is a surgery that completely alters the shape of the cornea, which is the clear part covering the front of the eye. It is performed to improve vision and eliminate the need for wearing glasses or contact lenses. The most common problem seen with the eye is with the cornea and lens which need to refract the light rays well for one to see properly. When this does not happen well, it leads to a refractive error. The LASIK process in Portland, like other U.S. cities, uses a UV Laser to remove a thin layer of the corneal tissue. This adjusts the shape of the cornea so that the rays are directly focused on the retina. It thins the cornea and normally takes between 10 or 15 minutes for each eye.
While LASIK surgery is a common procedure, it does not solve all eyesight problems. You need to establish whether you are a suitable candidate for this procedure and certain factors determine this. This process is perfect for patients suffering from the following conditions;
• Myopia- This is another term for short-sightedness and it refers to a condition where one struggles to focus on objects that are far away. This makes activities that require long distance vision such as playing sports and driving very hard for the patients.
• Hyperopia- This refers to long-sightedness and it prevents people from viewing and focusing objects that are close to them. These people struggle to read and usually experience headaches when focusing on nearby objects.
• Presbyopia- This refers to old eyes that struggle to view objects. The eyes lose their ability to focus on objects as the distance reduces.
• Astigmatism- This is the condition that causes the cornea to be irregularly shaped and results in blurred and distorted images.
If you are suffering from any of the mentioned conditions, then LASIK surgery might be the best option for you. Keep note that while the symptoms of the conditions have been pointed out, they could be alluding to another eye problem. This way, it is essential to visit an optician and have them ascertain that you are suffering from the conditions and prescribe LASIK surgery as the best corrective procedure.
The fact that LASIK procedures in Portland are popular gives a hint that there must be some benefits of going through it as opposed to other corrective procedures. Here are some of the advantages as opposed to the others;
• This procedure offers the fastest recovery time compared to others used to treat the mentioned conditions. By going through it, you won’t have to stay indoors recovering for a long time, and you will manage to get back to your old routine within no time. Aside from the fast recovery time, the procedure takes a very short time which is averagely between ten and fifteen minutes. This way, you can have it performed on you without having to alter your schedule in any significant way.
• While the process might seem to be complicated, it is easy, and no anesthesia is needed. Patients can remain awake during the process, and there are minimal side effects such as discomfort on the eyes. Your eyes will continue functioning correctly immediately after the surgery.
• While the thought of having a surgical procedure done on your eyes is scary, this is surprisingly pain-free. You won’t experience any discomfort, and this explains why you don’t require any anesthetics.
• Glasses and contact lenses help us to see clearly, but they can be a bother. LASIK surgery eliminates the need for glasses and contact lenses which reduces the inconvenience brought about these things and the costs of replacing them and repairing them when they wear out.
• Lastly, LASIK surgery improves the quality of your life. One is free to enjoy any activity they usually engage in and won’t have to worry about eye problems.
The average cost of the LASIK procedure in the Portland area is about $2000 per eye, but this varies significantly with the place where you go to get it done. The sad thing is that most insurance coverages do not pay for it since they consider it to be an elective plan. This way, you will have to cater for the costs of the procedure from your pocket unless you have an exceptional insurance cover. However, there are special plans for people who cannot afford the entire fee where they pay monthly installments that could span to about 150$ per month depending on the agreement.
Life After The Surgery.
In some cases, a LASIK enhancement procedure needs to be done especially if the results of the initial surgery are not up to the expected standards. In other instances, the vision varies with time, and this procedure needs to be done to restore it to the expected level. These instances are not common since LASIK procedures have a huge probability of yielding good results. LASIK technology has been improved in recent years, and the need for enhancements is being reduced every passing year. However, note that with all the good things that have been mentioned about this procedure, it is not always guaranteed that you will have crystal clear vision after a single procedure. The success rate in Portland clinics depends on a couple of factors such as the patient’s age, expectations, and severity of eye problem among others. In some special circumstances, one may still require the help of contact lenses to see clearly after a LASIK surgery procedure.